Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Get to know Clare Davidson and 'Trinity'

Today, please welcome back Clare Davidson to the blog, as we get to know her a little bit better.

What was the inspiration behind 'Trinity'?

A manga/anime called Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, from the Clamp team. There's some lovely themes and concepts in it. For me, the most striking part was the way strangers worked together in order to save one person. They all had their own reasons and agendas and didn't always see eye to eye, but that's what made it a very enjoyable series!

How much do you have in common with Kiana?

That's a hard question! Probably not much. For a start, I didn't spend the first sixteen years of my life hidden away from the world, nor do I have the spirit of a goddess residing in my body! I'd like to hope I have Kiana's sense of compassion, but that might just be wishful thinking! Seriously, though, I don't intentionally add bits of myself into my characters.

Will there be any follow-up books?

I'm currently working on a prequel, which reveals the whole truth of what happened to Miale and, more importantly, WHY it happened.

What other projects do you have have in the works?

I'm currently editing the first book in an urban fantasy series. Book one is called Reaper's Rhythm. It's a bit darker in tone than Trinity. Here's the mini blurb:

Devastated and unable to accept her sister’s sudden death, Kim sets out to prove it was murder. Hampered by an unnatural hole in her memory, she is met at every turn by the unexplainable. The only person who seems to know anything is a dark-eyed stranger who would rather vanish than talk.

If you could be a goddess, would you?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I suppose everyone loves the idea of being adored by millions of people, but the flip-side of the coin is that you get anger and hatred directed at you as well. I also imagine gods to be pretty lonely entities (unless they're part of a gigantic pantheon). What's the point of being worshiped and adored, if you're alone?

Sorry, I didn't mean to get all sombre and philosophical there!

You're also a teacher. How does your writing impact your teaching or vice versa?

My writing doesn't effect my teaching (I hope!), but teaching does effect writing. Teaching is a very demanding and time consuming job (anyone who believes it's 9-3 with 13 weeks holiday needs to be a teacher for a year!). I spend a lot of extra time preparing, doing extra curricular stuff with the kids, attending training, marking and generally worrying about how well my pupils will do. Add to that being a mum to an almost four year old and it doesn't leave a huge amount of time. I do make time for writing though, it's what I love doing, after all :)

What is the best part about being a teacher? Being a writer?

The best part of being a teacher is helping young people to succeed. I teach high school, so I have to help kids through their exams, which can be incredibly rewarding. The best part of being a reader is knowing someone has read and enjoyed something I've written. I guess writing and teaching have one big thing in common - making a difference in someone's life makes me grin from ear to ear!

How do you make yourself stand out in this competitive market?

I've tried to deliver the best product I can. I hired an illustrator to create an eye-catching cover for Trinity and an editor and copyeditor to help make sure it was as polished and error free as possible. I also try to make connections on social media. I don't post "buy Trinity" messages, I try to engage with people and get to know them instead. To be honest, I'm experimenting with the best ways to stand out. If I find the magic solution, I'll let you know.

What is the best piece of writing advice you have ever received?

A gem from my writing friend, Nic Widhalm. He told me to take writing rules with a pinch of salt (or in his case a shot of whiskey!). I think writers can get too hung up on all the "rules" which fly around and forget what's important–telling a cracking story. Being constrained by rules can suffocate creativity and not all rules apply to all writing, all the time.

What is something readers may be surprised to learn about you?

I helped to break three world records last summer!

Anything else you would like to add?

Thanks for having me over for a chat. You ask some tough questions, but I've really enjoyed answering them.

Author Bio

Clare Davidson is a character driven fantasy writer, teacher and mother, from the UK. Clare was born in Northampton and lived in Malaysia for four and a half years as a child, before returning to the UK to settle in Leeds with her family. Whilst attending Lancaster University, Clare met her future husband and never left. They now share their lives with their young daughter and a cranky grey cat, called Ash. Clare juggles family life with writing, teaching and a variety of fibre craft hobbies.

Links

Website: http://claredavidson.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClareMDavidson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClareMDavidson

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6445758.Clare_Davidson

Title: Trinity

Author: Clare Davidson

Genre: YA Fantasy

'Trinity', released July 2012, is Clare Davidson's debut novel. It is an epic fantasy, targeted at young adult readers, with strong crossover appeal into the adult market.

Kiana longs to walk through a forest and feel grass between her toes. But she is the living embodiment of a goddess and has enemies who wish to murder her. Her death will curse the whole of Gettryne. Locked away for protection, she dreams of freedom.

Her wish comes true in the worst possible way, when her home and defenders are destroyed.

Along with an inexperienced guard and a hunted outcast, Kiana flees the ravages of battle to search for a solution to the madness that has gripped Gettryne for a thousand years. Pursued by the vicious and unrelenting Wolves, their journey will take them far beyond their limits, to a secret that will shake the world.

Read an excerpt:
“Wolf.”

Skaric looked round. Nidan was chewing on a strip of dark meat.

“Do you want some?”

Skaric’s stomach growled. He hadn’t eaten anything since setting out on patrol with Berend. He shook his head.

“It’s food, not poison.”

Skaric narrowed his eyes. “You got it from the Wolves’ provisions?”

Nidan nodded.

“Six men, travelling light. There won’t be much left. Save it for yourselves.”

He watched as Nidan continued to eat the meat. It didn’t matter that he knew the meat would be too chewy and too salty; just looking at food made his stomach hurt and his mouth water.

Skaric tried to take his mind off hunger by sizing up the Guardian. Nidan was shorter than him but much stronger. If it came to a fight, Skaric would lose. But the Guardian was injured, whilst the worst of Skaric’s wounds—his side, hand and leg—had been healed the night before as a result of Kiana’s bizarre sense of compassion.

Nidan had bandaged his own wounds using supplies from the Wolves’ packs, but they were sloppy and didn’t apply enough pressure. The wounds would get dirty and fester if the Guardian wasn’t careful. Skaric bit his lower lip and looked away. He didn’t care if the Guardian lived or died. It wasn’t his problem.

“Was it easy for you? Killing your own kin? Did you even know the name of the man whose skull you bashed in?” Nidan said.

Skaric stared at the forest floor. “You didn’t think twice about killing them.”

“They were my enemy. But your kin.” Nidan’s voice was cold.

Skaric shut his eyes tightly. “Dirk,” he said quietly. “His name was Dirk.” He recalled the faces of the pack. One by one, he fitted names to them. “Dirk. Erich. Jurgen. Bernt. Konrad. Rikert.” Skaric choked on each word as his stomach tightened into knots.

'Trinity' is available to buy from the following venues:

Paperback:

Amazon: http://amzn.to/12lSVMY

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1478222204

eBook:

Amazon: http://amzn.to/16ju6ic

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008MYHASG

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/206771

Sony: http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/clare-davidson/trinity/_/R-400000000000000766048

iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/trinity/id549840902?mt=11

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/trinity-clare-davidson/1112276175?ean=2940044730625

4 comments:

  1. i definitely bookmark your post and will give links to my friends as we all are a great lovers of blogs and always ready to read interesting and informative blogs.
    burun estetigi

    ReplyDelete