Saturday, March 2, 2013

Interview with Lisa Orchard, author of the Super Spies series


Today, I would like to welcome author Lisa Orchard to the blog. Thanks for stopping by!

What was the inspiration behind this series?

My own teen exploits are the inspiration behind this series. I wanted to be a detective much like the lead character Sarah. I even formed my own detective squad with some of my friends…and I must say we had a blast!

Which characters spoke to you the most while writing?

I would have to say Sarah. She has a great empathy for the victims in each story and she fights for them when they can’t fight for themselves. I share the same empathy for victims and I love it when the underdog wins!

When I was a kid, my best friend and I often went in search of mysteries, just like these kids, only we didn't find too many, much to our dismay. What are some of your childhood memories of being a sleuth?

Well…when my friends and I formed our own detective squad there was an act of vandalism in our neighborhood. No one knew who did it…so naturally we were on the case. We never did solve the crime, but that summer is one of my best memories.

Which mysteries were your favorites as a kid or as a teen?

I loved The Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden, and Nancy Drew.

If you could turn this series into a TV series or movie, which actors would you choose to play each role?

Hmm…this is a good question. I would have to say that I want Jennifer Lawrence to play Sarah. She has the ability to be strong and vulnerable at the same time…like Sarah. I would have Willow Shields play Lacey…she has that innocent vulnerability that I associate with Lacey. I would probably have Kristen Stewart play Jackie…she seems like she could play a happy go lucky sidekick very well.

Do you have any other projects in the works?

Yes! I’m almost done with the third Super Spies book and I’ve got another coming of age young adult novel that I’m working on too.

If you could travel through space and time, with whom would you like to spend a day?

I would spend the day with Harper Lee. I loved “To Kill a Mockingbird” and I’d love to find out why she only published one book.

What is the best piece of writing advice you ever received?

An agent gave me the advice to change my first Super Spies novel from first person narrative to third person. When I did the story and the characters came bursting through. It was great advice and I’ll always be grateful to her for that golden nugget of wisdom.

What is something readers may be surprised to learn about you?

They would probably be surprised to learn that I didn’t start my family until I was in my forties! I’m glad I waited that long because I feel that I’ve got that much more life experience under my belt and I’m a better parent because of it. The only downside is my energy level isn’t quite what it used to be and these young boys keep me hopping!

Is there anything else you would like to share?

I’d love to hear what you think of my stories!

Thanks for your time!




The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer by Lisa OrchardBook blurb:
In a small town in Michigan, fifteen-year-old Sarah Cole is stuck spending the summer at her Aunt and Uncle’s with her sister, Lacey. She’s not happy with the situation until she befriends a girl named Jackie. The three girls stumble upon the ruthless murder of a reclusive neighborhood woman and what's worse? One of the officers investigating the crime believes the girls are responsible for her death.

Fearing that this officer will frame them for the murder, the girls organize their own detective squad. They become the Super Spies and start their own investigation.  The Super Spies can’t understand why anyone would want to murder the “Cat Lady” until they start digging into her past and discover a horrible crime that happened thirty years ago. They uncover a connection between the two crimes and attempt to bring this information to the police, only to be reprimanded for meddling in the investigation. Not only are the girls upset by the admonition, but they also struggle with the fact that their exuberant investigating could provide a legal loophole allowing the killer to go free. Frustrated by this turn of events, the Super Spies realize it’s up to them to snare the Cat Lady killer.

Or die trying...





The Super Spies and the High School Bomber by Lisa OrchardBook blurb:
This book opens in a small town in Michigan where Sarah Cole and her sister Lacey are now living with their Aunt and Uncle. Still reeling from the fact her parents have disappeared, Sarah starts the school year with her new friend Jackie Jenkins. When Sarah learns the school has been bombed, she’s filled with dread. Uncle Walt is a teacher, and he was in the school when the bomb exploded. Taking matters into her own hands, Sarah decides to search for him. The rest of the Super Spies are right behind her. When a fireman chases them away from the school, Sarah becomes suspicious. She decides to investigate. The FBI arrives on the scene. Sarah realizes this bombing could have even bigger implications. Searching for the bombers, Sarah is introduced to the world of terrorism. She fears that the bombing and her parents’ disappearance are connected and terrorists are involved. To make matters worse, the bombers are determined to finish the job. Can the Super Spies find the bombers before it’s too late?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Andrea for the interview! I had fun! I appreciate the opportunity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great premise for a young adult story, Lisa. And this is a great interview to introduce us to your book, and to the wonderful author who wrote it. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Lisa. I am so shocked about you starting your family in your 40s! You look so young in your profile pic! Maybe it's that Mountain Dew you drink every morning! Go girl! Best wishes for success with all your books. See you at the movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharon! Thanks for stopping by! I love that you think I look young...because most days I'm feeling old! Yes! I will definitely see you at the movies! :) Thanks for all your support! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by Sharon! I love your comment about me looking so young! It's greatly appreciated, especially these days when I feel so old! LOL! I will definitely see you at the movies! Thanks for all your support!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Joss! I appreciate your support! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great choices for actors, Lisa. And some great questions for an interview. Best of luck with your next sequel. And I agree, you do look quite young. Your boys must be tiny babies still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cordelia! I wish they were still babies! They grow up so fast! I take millions of pictures trying to capture everything! :) I appreciate your support Cordelia! :)

      Delete